The default C-Therm TCi Thermal Conductivity Analyzer employs the Modified Transient Plane Source (MTPS) technique in characterizing the thermal conductivity and effusivity of materials. It employs a one-sided, interfacial heat reflectance sensor that applies a momentary constant heat source to the sample. Typically, the measurement pulse is between 1 to 3 seconds. Thermal conductivity and effusivity are measured directly, providing a detailed overview of the heat transfer properties of the sample material.
C-Therm’s innovative, thermal sensor technology is designed and applied to solve problems in a wide range of areas, including:
1. Assessment of thermal characteristics – accurately evaluating the thermal properties of materials, such as insulation or heat dissipating compounds for use in electronics
2. Accelerating R&D – speeding the development and scale up of products and formulations, such as pharmaceuticals, through rapid testing and real time results
3. In-process monitoring & control – online effusivity testing as a proxy determinate of quality and consistency of products during production
4. Material screening – checking incoming raw materials and finished goods for homogeneity
5. Inspection of inaccessible areas – “looking” through layers of a material or composite to reveal internal characteristics that would otherwise require disassembly or destruction of the sample to access
6. Service life monitoring – determining and monitoring the service life of critical materials, such as lubricants, to ensure they have not deteriorated beyond the required specifications